The Red River Army Depot (RRAD) is an 15,835-acre (64.08 km2) facility located 18 miles (29 km) west of Texarkana, Texas in Bowie County. The facility has over 3,000,000 square feet (280,000 m2) of storage capacity. RRAD was activated in 1941 to create an ammunition storage facility. The depot was supposed to be deactivated after the findings of the 1995 Base Realignment and Closure Commission. However, the depot remained open after the commission changed its mind. The depot was once again slated for closure upon recommendation from the 2005 BRAC commission, but has remained open to provide maintenance support for the army. The depot's primary mission is the maintenance and repair of all Tactical Wheeled Vehicles, which includes repairing MRAPs and HUMVEEs. Letterkenny Army Depot took over some of RRAD's missile systems.